It wasn’t easy messing around trying to create the ideal strawberry cupcake to go with the Strawberry Frosting developed a couple of years ago. It’s been a long road and lots of cupcakes tested and tasted along the way. The trick was NOT using puree when making the frosting. Rather, grinding freeze-dried strawberries into a powder brought this cupcake recipe out of the “test kitchen” and into the recipe box! Here are the results!
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 17 mins | Servings: 20
- 1 ¼ ounce Freeze Dried Raspberries MER
- ¾ cup Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, bleached
- ¾ cup Wheat flour, white, cake, enriched
- 1 ½ teaspoon Leavening agents, baking powder, double-acting, sodium aluminum sulfate
- ¼ teaspoon Leavening agents, baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt, table
- ½ cup Butter, without salt
- 1 ⅓ cups Sugars, granulated
- 3 Egg, whole, raw, fresh
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup Milk, fluid, 3.25% milkfat
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin tins with 20 cupcake liners (for mini cupcakes, line 72 mini muffin tins).
- Step 2 Grind strawberries into a fine powder using a coffee grinder or food processor. Whisk strawberry powder, all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Step 3 Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Step 4 Stir flour mixture, alternately with the milk, into butter mixture until just incorporated. Fill lined tins with cupcake batter.
- Step 5 Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes spring back when gently touched with a fingertip or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes for regular cupcakes, 8 to 10 minutes for mini cupcakes.
To make strawberry powder: grind 1 to 1.6 oz (depending on your taste) freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder using a coffee grinder, Magic Bullet® or food processor. You can find freeze-dried strawberries at Trader Joe’s® or online, or make your own dried strawberries.
Dry 1 pound of very thinly sliced fresh strawberries in a 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) oven for 8 hours, then grind as above into a fine powder.
Try topping these cupcakes with next strawberry frosting.
- 1 cup Strawberries, raw
- 1 cup butter, with salt
- 1 cup Sugars, powdered
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups Sugars, powdered
- Step 1 Place strawberries in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Step 2 Transfer strawberry puree to a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring often, until the puree is reduced by at least half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Step 3 Beat butter with an electric mixer in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Step 4 Beat 1 cup confectioners’ sugar into butter until just blended.
- Step 5 Beat 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla extract into butter mixture until just blended.
- Step 6 Repeat with 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, followed by 2 tablespoons strawberry puree two more times.
- Step 7 Beat last 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar into mixture until just blended.
Per Serving:145.2 calories; 2.2 g protein; 21.6 g carbohydrates; 40.9 mg cholesterol; 125 mg sodium.